Awesome Fundraising idea...
O.k. Rich - here's the plan.
1. Develop some sort of cost-free, value-added offer to sell memberships:
a)start with e-mail newsletters, etc.
b)work up to % discounts with the businesses, leagues, tournaments, manufacturers, etc. that readers themselves belong to. For example - I'd be willing to offer a % discount on league fees for GTI (www.rollerhockey.TO) to IHC members... If 10 to 20 folks did the same (e.g. NARCh offered 5-10% discount, etc.) could be a valuable package.
c) Free t-shirt, or something (your cost, $6 to $10 - get some logos on there, and costs could be covered). I will do camera-ready artwork at no cost.
3. throw some banner ads for IHC memberships on your site (I can help with these, too, and will post on my site).
4. Go register an account at www.paypal.com (it's free)
5. throw your subscription request on e-bay as a dutch auction, setting whatever min price you want. Renew it every 7 days. With paypal, all us apathetic shmucks don't have to write a check, script an envelope, buy a stamp, put it in the mail... we just need to pull out the plastic and voila - instant cash.
6. Budget in a 20% cut for Splinters, for providing such valuable fundraising advice.