View Full Version : Anybody superstitious?
05-30-2003, 11:16 PM
I have a few meal rituals and a certain order and way I put on my equipment. Plus I never use the same stick two times in a row. But does anybody have any really odd ones? lol
05-30-2003, 11:29 PM
After someone promises me they'll do something twice and don't come through, I no longer believe them. Is that being superstitious? /wtimages/icons/wink.gif
Inline Hockey Central
05-30-2003, 11:35 PM
I think I know who you are talking about Rich. lol
But do you got any rituals to get ready for a game?
05-30-2003, 11:59 PM
As a coach, I would always take a shower about 90 minutes before each game, whether I needed it or not. As much as it helped clear my head and kept me relaxed, at least until I got on the bench, I did it more for superstition.
Inline Hockey America
05-31-2003, 12:14 AM
I have a ton of them I do before each and every game no matter what. Whether its mens league or before a MLRH game I do the same thing starting approximately 4 hours prior to game time..
Here we go..
1.Always eat a bowl of rice 4 hours prior to game.
2. Shower at the rink when I get there.
3. Take my skates out of the bag right then left, put on the left one then the right one, tie the right one then the left one and never take them out until I am ready to wear them.. The right one comes out of the bag and goes directly on the floor and don't touch it or look at it until I put the left one on.
4. Always go on the floor or ice with the stick I will use in my right hand and the extra in my left and do 2 laps with them both then put the one in my left hand on the bench and don't touch it unless I am using it..
Thats about all of them I think.. LOL hows that for superstisous??
05-31-2003, 12:44 AM
Yes. I have many rituals. Unfortunately, they change with how I feel about three hours before the game. LOL.
For a while, I ate Stouffer's Lasagna a few hours before games, and it seemed to give me the sustained energy I needed to go all-out for the entire game.
Currently, my ritual is to say to myself, "Don't take stupid penalties," over and over and over and over...
Inline Hockey Central
05-31-2003, 12:46 AM
And I'm sure that your players appreciated it too... /wtimages/icons/smile.gif
Inline Hockey Central
05-31-2003, 12:47 AM
What do you do before a big date? lol /wtimages/icons/shocked.gif
Inline Hockey Central
05-31-2003, 03:25 AM
Mac & Cheese to eat, get to the rink at least 2hr early and dress left to right.
05-31-2003, 12:46 PM
HERE'S MY superstitions
1) I wear a pair of soccer socks inside out under my shin pads that have never been washed in 4 years (starting to fall apart) I do wear CLEAN socks under them, no foot fungus for me.
2) I am always the LAST person dressed, usually the first person at the rink
3) I only take 1 stick to the rink.. the others stay in the locker room
4) I dont step on the rink until there is 30 seconds left in warm-ups, I take one shot and one shot only
5) I lick the shaft of my stick (geez I just set my self up for jokes tellin this one) I started doing that to make my gloves grip the stick, yeah I know I could spit on my gloves but thats dissin my gloves.. which is the only piece of equipment I've used longer than 6 months.. other than my socks
6) right b4 I go to the face-off circle I go to my goalie, no matter who he is.. and say a few words .. "stay big" or whatever for encouragement
7) right b4 the puck drops and I take the face-off I whisper a little something to myself.... "there is no spoon" started that when I was 19.. 4 years ago... I say it to remind me that nothings impossible.. not even a 10 goal game which was my mission for a long time in men's "A" league. WAS my mission!!!
8) I am always the last person undressed after the game..ALWAYS
9) we all already know I will never play w/out # 9 and why... as stated in the jersey # thread.
SO, I GUESS YOU COULD SAY IM A LITTLE SUPERSTITIOUS!!!
-- Street --
05-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Nice post superstar.
05-31-2003, 03:05 PM
1. 5 hours before the game, whereever I am, in the car, just waking up, anything, I change into soccer shorts and a white t shirt, always 5 hours, no more no less.
2. Always get to the rink 1 1/2 hours early.
3. Watch 30 minutes of game.
4. Put on my girdle/cup (girdle in travel, cup in house), put on my pants, then skates, don't tie skates. Listen to anything Metallica, I have every single song in my MP3 player and i always listen to them in order, but only 1 song. Tie my skates
5. Watch another 30 mintues of game.
6. Put on my shin gaurds and tape.
7. Talk until 30 seconds before warm-up starts, then pull on elbow pads, jersey, helmet, gloves.
8. Grab 2 sticks.
9. Skate 5 laps around the rink.
10. Drop off one stick at bench.
11. Stretch right at center court/ice, facing the opposing goalie.
12. take 6 shots, 2 backhands, 2 slap shots, and 2 wrist shots.
13. Pass the puck with a teammate for about 1 minute.
Then the game will start
14. I change my tape after every game We lose, and I will only change it during a hcokey game, taped or live, as long as it's on tv.
15. Always the last one out of the locker room.
and most importtant...
16. I always wear sandals to and form the rink.
05-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Oh my god.. I cant believe I left out one of my biggest superstitions... I ALWAYS ALWAYS wear a superman t-shirt under my jersey.. I wear it because of the "superstar" nickname I picked up for playing like superman and because my very first team was the DE Sabres and we wore superman logo's on our jerseys. I thought I listed that but I was reading over my post and noticed I didnt. I also have a pre-hockey cd I made a couple years ago that I always listen to on the way to the rink that is good to get things going.
05-31-2003, 03:36 PM
05-31-2003, 05:15 PM
I too am the last dressed and the last to undress but for me its not out of superstition, I am just slow.
the only thing I do that is weird actually comes after the game. I shower and get dressed but don't wear underwear or socks.
05-31-2003, 05:17 PM
I almost forgot, I always take my socks off before putting my skates on. Yeah my skates smell.
05-31-2003, 06:17 PM
Believe me, there's more than one of those folks... lol.
Let's see, rituals before a game. Hmmm...
Well, I try to show up on time, get dressed without forgetting to put on all my gear, and remind myself that THIS time, I'm going to get through a game without taking a dumb penalty. /wtimages/icons/wink.gif
Inline Hockey Central
05-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Ok here is my list:
In the mourning of the day in which I have a game I have egg whites and toast with rasberry jam and a glass of pineapple juice. I usually have plane pasta before the game for energy. To the rink I wear baggy basketball shorts and my bauer sandals. I get in the locker room first and put my bag in the left corner of the room. I then find a slightly quiet place so I can calm myself down and read, no preference on the material. I then stretch all in a very systematic way, I've had the same routine since I was 12. I then go to the locker room listen to some tunes as I tape my stick up. I put my equipment on in this order, my cup then my hockey pants, then my hockey socks, elbow pads, jersey, helmet, left shin guard, right shin guard, right glove, then left glove. I tape my pants up with a minute till the game starts. I dont warm up, but when I do go on the rink I circle the net and tap my goalie on the pads wishing him luck. I then quickly stretch and tap the faceoff dot twice, and I dont know why. After the game I dont undress till everyone leaves, so I can think about the game and analzye it. I then have a mountain dew and go home.
And if I get to the game like right before it starts I am usually very awkward feeling, and feel like its not quite right if I dont do all my pre game rituals, I probably have a few more that I dont even realize. lol
05-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Lucky t shirt, I had one, but when I went on a big goal drought I stopped wearing it and then started to score. Coincindence? I think not! lol
05-31-2003, 06:23 PM
I bet they do. lol
05-31-2003, 06:24 PM
I should probably do that too. I've been pulling a "Rich" here lately a lot. lol
05-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Okay now tell me this isn't weird..
When my dad goes to games that hes playing in, he has a tape he bought of a goalie making saves, and you are supposed to sit in the car and close your eys and visualize yourself making the saves.
The cool thing is it's realistic, they have the actual sounds of a game going on, and they will say 'two on one' then you will hear a shot and the guy says 'left pad save' and you are supposed to imagine yourself making the save. Plus you ehar the guy shooting, and then the puck hitting pad.
Supposedly it makes your timing better, and helps to program your muscles.
05-31-2003, 08:34 PM
shouldn't he be driving with his eyes open?
05-31-2003, 11:09 PM
Actually you listen to it in the parking lot before you go in the rink. I think.
06-01-2003, 11:39 AM
lol, I hope so.
06-01-2003, 12:46 PM
I think all drivers in Ohio hopes so. lol
06-03-2003, 11:39 AM
During warm up I find a "J" on the floor or board ads and touch it with the heel of my stick.
06-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Now thats a little odd, why do you do that?
06-05-2003, 06:00 PM
yeah, I was wondering the same thing
06-06-2003, 01:43 PM
I've been asked about it a few times when people noticed. Honestly I've forgotten why I started it.
06-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Maybe his name starts with a J or something like that.
06-06-2003, 04:12 PM
I have a few things that I must do before a game, that I honestly forget why I do it. lol
06-06-2003, 09:36 PM
lol, that just seems odd enough that it would be easily remembered.
06-07-2003, 01:07 AM
I have a wacky one where i won't cut my hair until a season is over. I also wear the same socks for every game.
06-07-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but if we lose I go and get a hair cut right after the game, but if we don't I wion't get a hair cut until we do lose.
06-07-2003, 10:12 AM
what if it's a really long season?
06-07-2003, 10:13 AM
do you spend a lot on hair cuts?
06-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Yes, but I do play house ice, house roller(2 leagues), travel ice, and travel inline so there is plenty of chances to lose. However I haven't had a hair cut in about 2 months.
06-07-2003, 01:33 PM
You aren't one of those guys who never showers after a win are you? LOL
06-07-2003, 04:29 PM
I did the same thing a few years back, the barber knew my family on a first name basis, because my house ice team was terrible. lol
06-07-2003, 04:30 PM
2 months? Somebody has been lucky lately;-)
06-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Lets hope not. lol
06-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Well ice ended about 6 weeks ago for travel and house, one of my inline leagues ended today (we won the championship) and my other inline league is at sportsite where people can barely skate (our last game was 18-1, we won) and we've only gone to 3 tournaments so far for inline.
06-07-2003, 11:58 PM
it becomes a mess but i cut it befor the first game.
06-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Ahh hockey hair, gotta love it. ^_^
06-08-2003, 09:14 AM
do you ever have to adjust your helemt to accommodate all the hair?
06-08-2003, 09:18 AM
hell, I know plenty of guys who don't shower after a game win or loose.
06-08-2003, 12:53 PM
I shower only if the rink has them! Both the roller rinks I play house at don't have showers!
06-09-2003, 12:57 AM
Actually I never have my helmet is a little loose when my hair is short. Not to loose but not to tight. The only thing is is it becomes a mess after a game and is hard to style but i deal with it.
06-09-2003, 01:34 AM
I have had some real classic hockey hair and never had to adjust my helmet. Besides it just gets sweaty and loses the volume so to say. lol
06-09-2003, 01:36 AM
This kid on a 14u team wouldnt shower till they lost. Put it this way, 3 months later almost his whole team gave him bottles of colon, deodrant and soap. lol Thank god they lost a tourney.
06-09-2003, 05:48 AM
Some pretty bizarre ones here but, hey, whatever works! I realize we're not talking 'bout NHL guys but did anyone else hear the one about Madden on the Devils? After every practice, every skate, every period in every game this guy cuts out and replaces his laces!
06-09-2003, 09:08 AM
It didn't help in games 3, 4 and 6! Hope it works tonight!! Bring that Cup EAST!!
06-09-2003, 01:04 PM
I am SO torn on this game 7 thing - Devils have been my long-time second-favorite (still love those Flyers!!!) team in the East, 'specially since ex-Shark Friesen was acquired. But, being a California body, I gotta love the Ducks - even Nor-Cal has gone "quackers"! Guess I'll have to "pond"er it for a few more hours!!!
06-09-2003, 03:42 PM
06-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Oh, darn, my Los Angeles Kings didn't even make the playoffs. /wtimages/icons/mad.gif
Inline Hockey Central
06-09-2003, 06:20 PM
he wouldn't shower at all?
06-09-2003, 06:22 PM
how can a Flyers fan call the Devils their second favorite team?
06-09-2003, 06:31 PM
TOO MANY "OUCHS" IN THAT ONE!!!
06-09-2003, 08:51 PM
It's easy from California!!! Just call it diverse interests! Or just call it %$^#$% @&$%!!! (you're welcome Rich!!!)
06-09-2003, 08:52 PM
We won't even go there!!!
06-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Thats pretty weird, but maybe it worked ;-)
06-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Obvioulsy it did help :(
06-09-2003, 11:41 PM
I rooted for the Ducks just because I saw Giguire play in the minors and loved him and Kariya has been one of my favorite players for many years.
06-09-2003, 11:42 PM
My Pens didnt make it either :(
06-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Nope, but his teammates did dump a jug or two of water over his head when he wasnt expecting it. lol
Didn't all that hitchiking and walking to tournaments wear him out??
06-10-2003, 02:28 AM
06-10-2003, 06:26 PM
yeah, I guess you would have to be from the west coast.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.